However, there are lots of things that we say we don't want to do, which ultimately we do want to do, because in one way or another they're beneficial or fulfill some other purpose. For instance, you may say "I don't want to go to work today" but you know that if you don't go, you'll lose your job. So the motivation that gets you to work is not the desire to be at work, but the desire to keep to your job.
So perhaps the question to ask is:
How do I motivate yourself to do the things that I say I don't want to do?
And the answer to that question is:
- Identify the benefit that you will gain from doing it - realising that it may not be directly related to doing the thing itself
- Get really present to your desire to have that benefit
- Make a plan for what you are going to do (can be really simple)
- Commit to following your plan
- Align your environment with following your plan - for example I often say "I don't want to go to the gym" when I wake up at 6am, but I lay out my gym gear the night before so that it's there as a reminder of my commitment.
- Do it
- If you don't do it (and there will be times that you don't), don't beat yourself up and tell yourself you're a failure. Just return to question 1 and go through the process again.
- Enjoy your successes
(This my answer to a question asked on Quora)
FREE EBOOK: 6 STEPS TO INFLUENCE
For immediate download, & to receive regular tips & updates, please enter your details below & click Subscribe.
What people say….
Doug has really helped shape my work and clarify my ideas. I’m always conscious I owe him a great deal.Jason Thorne
Through working with Doug I am more focussed, more in action action and produce bigger and better results.Mark Turnbull
I would not have the life I have now if not for Doug’s support and commitment. He made a huge difference to my life, and all the lives I touch.Susan Paul
Doug has a lot of practical advice to offer and he’s worth his salt!Paul Heaney
Focused, personable and incredibly high level of integrity, I would trust Doug in any situation.Derek White
Doug is one of the most genuine people I know, and possesses humility – a quality which seems far too rare.Adeline Darling
I can see why Doug is so good at what he does.Those who are fortunate enough to learn from him are lucky people.Maksoom Hussain
A conversation with Doug is always enlightening.David Lindsay
A really insightful process at a reasonable cost. Absolutely recommended.James Marsh
Most significant is the longevity of Doug’s interventions – still using the tools and techniques over two years on.Neil Jacobs